Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:53 -0500
> Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When I moved in with my GF, her electric bill shoot up to the roof (I
>> brought my 46" LCD TV, PlayStation 3, and in total 5 computers and
>> other electronics). After a couple of months of shock of seeing the
>> electric bills, we started to do this kind of stuff
>> (suspending/hibernating our machines, using CFL instead of normal
>> light bulbs, etc.), and we cut the spending almost in four.
> Apartment living maybe?
>
> I have 1 XBox, 2 Wii's, 40" LED TV, 22" LED monitor, 16" LCD monitor, an
> xbmc frontend, 2 el-cheap android tablets permanently plugged in, 1
> desktop, 2 HP microservers and 3 laptops running almost 24/7. And about
> 10 incandescent bulbs all evening, 2 neons and umpteen CFLs.
>
> It's a lot of power, sure.
>
> And all quite insignificant when compared to what the swimming pool
> pump uses......
>
> All a matter of perspective I suppose :-)

My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling.  I have a large
fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a large
heater for the winter.  Compare any of those to my computer, the
computer is a rounding error.  My main rig, monitor, router, DSL modem
and printer pulls about 150 watts at most.  At most would be while it is
compiling or something.  When idle, ~100 watts.  I figured it up once
and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run.  Heck, when I have a
$200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to mind.  Heck, taxes and fees
on the power bill is more than my puter uses.  I would much rather fuss
about the taxes than my puter.  I use my puter.  lol

I think you hit it pretty good tho Alan.  It's perspective.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!