The rest of my new box is working, but -- as expected -- mail isn't.
I can send mail, which is recorded in  syslog  & arrives at this machine,
but I can't grab mail from the  2  mail servers out there (ISP + UoT).
The cron job in /var/spool/cron/crontabs is the same as here
with the same permissions &  syslog  says it runs it every  5 min .
 .fetchmailrc  is the same there as here & so is  .procmailrc .
I've tried remerging Fetchmail Procmail & their deps & checked USE flags.
There definitely was mail to download, as the test msgs I sent
had been waiting some time when I got them on this machine
(yes, I always send  2  of them via each of the mail servers).

One thought is that it mb due to the presence of Python3 on the new machine:
there's a line at the end of the Fetchmail emerge output
which says something re "CPython".

Mail is usually difficult to get going, as there are so many pieces
& they all have to work correctly.  Any suggestions are very welcome.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca