On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed and booted with systemd and most services are working
> normally, except syslog.service and remote-fs.service.  Both of those
> failed  on bootup with a "No such file or directory" error.
>
> I can't figure out how to make systemd tell me which files it can't
> find.  Any ideas?

The syslog.service works as a place-holder for whatever syslog you
have installed (or not). So, if you have syslog-ng, you do

ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/syslog-ng.service
/etc/systemd/system/syslog.service

If you have rsyslog, you do:

ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service

If you (like me) don't have any syslog because you want to use journald, you do:

ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service

That is the common way to "mask" services in systemd. If you don't
need remote filesystems (NFS, cifs shares, etc.) mounted at boot time,
mask remote-fs.service:

ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/system/remote-fs.service

I do however have the remote-fs.service (systemd-191, out of the
oven), I don't know why it isn't installed in your case. Which version
are you using.

Regards
--
Canek Peláez Valdés