On 2012-10-08, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2012-10-08, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsi...@ist.utl.pt> wrote:

>>> Well, I am sure there's a emacs command for that :) :)
>>>
>>> But seriously, like the other suggested, I would mask that specific
>>> version of emacs.
>>
>> Regarding "too buggy to be usable",
>
> I had all sorts of problems doing simple editing of C source files.
> It seems like I couldn't edit for more than a dozen keystrokes before
> it would "pop up" a lisp debugger window containing an unintelligible
> (to me) traceback.
>
> Once that happened, all sorts of things broke:
>
>    * matching brace highlight stopped working.
>
>    * Ctrl-XS didn't know the path/filename associated with the buffer.
>
>    * The F8/compile command stopped working.

I think you were hit by some incompatibility between additional emacs
packages and the emacs version. Do you have any external elisp files?
If not, did you run emacs-updater?

In fact, I got some backtraces and errors until I ran emacs-updater,
after that, almost every package worked correctly, except for an
external one that needs to be updated due to some changes in the way
font-lock is done.

Anyway, that was probably what made me postpone the upgrade: too much
work, fixing old packages by hand *and* figuring out which other
settings did they change.

(If you end up trying emacs-updater to fix emacs 24, you will need to
run it again after eselecting emacs 23, if you want to go back to emacs
23.)

>> they really changed some of the defaults... it seems, for example,
>> that Emacs is not doing copy-paste as expected anymore (tries to rely
>> solely on the "clipboard", ignoring the X selection),
>
> I hadn't noticed that one, but 24 was so unstable for me that I didn't
> use it for very long before I went back to 23.

I've noticed this one, because I sometimes rely on copy-paste a lot. And
by copy-paste I mean the X selection...

>> and now highlights regions by default, like if setting the
>> region was like doing text selection in a program such as Notepad.EXE.
>
> I have that enabled in my .emacs file anyway.

This kinda distracts me, I've got it set in a way that, if I hit C-space
once, it does not highlight. If I, for some reason, actually need
highlighting, I can hit C-space twice.

--
Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/