Do you have any other gfx board you can put in ?
Just to identify the source of the problem, ie. gfx board or mobo
Alternatively do you get the problem when booting under a liveCD of
some description

stu

On 8/28/05, Alexander Kirillov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>I've recently installed GeForce4 MX440 AGP 8x
> >>into my gentoo box and got it working.
> >>Bootsplash, opengl and so on..
> >>But one serious problem remains.
> >>I have 90% chance to get garbled screen right after system reboot
> >>when bios is starting hw checks. The problem goes away
> >>after a random number of poweroffs.
> >>Is there a way to fix this?
> >

> > If you've upgraded the bios on the motherboard, then trash the motherboard.
> > It's not doing a proper reset to the AGP bus.
> >
> > Other possibility is the chip on the MX440 is on the slow side of things
> > and the reset
> > is too short for it.  Generally, the chip will eventually get slower as it
> > ages and the problem
> > will get worse.
>
> Thanks for the hint Bob,
> Upgraded the bios. The problem's still there:(
> As I don't reboot very often I may live with this for a while.
> Sasha
>
> --

"There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
binary, those who don't"

--Unknown