John Dangler wrote:
I know this isn't really the Gentoo (read - Linux) way, but, since I'm using
this for business apps, I need to take the end users point of view for a
moment.  Open Office or the "Ximianized" Open Office.  I read that Ximian
was bought by Novell, so I'm wondering which of these two portage packages
to get.  www.ximian.org is no longer, apparently, so I'm wondering when this
will turn into a commercial (read - for sale) product.

Google for ximian openoffice to find the new homepage, please.
I really doubt that this will become a commercial product (and it might not even be possible due to the licensing, i don't know which license they use), though i'm not really informed what's going on in the openoffice world.

I read that the ximianized version is faster to load and run, and I also
read that open office takes a long time to compile, so I'd hate to put the
Ximianized version together and then find out somewhere down the road that
I'd have to dump it and go to the other version.  Any insight here is
greatly appreciated.  I'm finally (after 3 days and nights) getting to the
end of having a "basic functioning laptop".

Don't know about the merits of openoffice-ximian vs openoffice.
Use openoffice-bin / openoffice-ximian-bin (precompiled binaries), and save yourself a lot of time, the compile takes _ages_.

You can see your options by issuing a
emerge -s openoffice
to search for ebuilds containing the words openoffice.

Marco