make was specifically designed so that by default, it would only compile
things whose dependencies had changed since last run.

If your kernel config had not selected the object before, and all you do is
add it as a module, then when you rerun make, only that module should be
recompiled. However if you do built-in to module or vice versa, you're out
of luck.