On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 09:54:15AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Thanks Bruce. That at least goes a long way toward explaining why the
> system is acting the way it's acting. Threw me for a loop I must say.
>
> Interestingly I don't have the elog file you show above. (Not sure I
> should, just saying I don't.) In the file above it talks about running
> udev-mount in sysinit which I don't have, and have never had. I shows
> up in rc-update show --verbose so I could set it I suppose although I
> hate messing with sysinit level stuff when I'm not clear why it's
> needed.
>
> Thanks for the pointer on why this happened.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Admittedly I'm too busy with RL issues atm to read carefully. That being said,
on 9 Gentoo installs adding udev-mount was mentioned, so I did. After checking
just one other box, I still have:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Nov 18 10:30 /dev/cdrom -> sr0

That's on baruch where udev-171-r9 was built with only rule_generator USE,
same as on workstation, where my previous output originated.

In make.conf my comps have:

PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error info log qa"

and app-portage/elogv does a nice job of parsing /var/log/portage/elog/* where
you can read all the logs of everything installed on your system in one place.
IOW, you can issue "elogv" (as root or user if added to portage group) and
read the log files for every app installed on your system; rather than having
to "less /var/log/portage/elog/*" for thousands of different apps.

The times they are a'changing with udev. Just trying to avoid breaking my
system(s) here with irrational "let's try this" coding from RedHat camp. ;)
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting