Jacques, you are the man! Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.
I had actually everything right, except the (y) for "include in-kernel
firmware blobs in kernel binary", which I was advised some time ago of not
adding it. Why should I need that? I thought I was using the open-source
firmware when opted for sys-kernel/linux-firmware.

Mick and Clemente, thanks anyway for your attention as well.