Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
Hi,

I have a raid0 (kernel autodetect) array, over which I have put LVM
and then there are volumes on the LVM for /var, /tmp, swap and /home.

The problem is, raid0 array gets recognized, but localmount fails to
mount because lvm doesn't seem to start before localmount (due to my
root being on SSD, I can't watch the output of openrc easily).

For now I have added this to my rc.conf -
rc_localmount_before="lvm"
rc_localmount_need="lvm"
rc_lvm_after="localmount"

This fixes the problem, but localmount still executes before lvm and
terminates with operational error. Then lvm starts up and localmount
runs again successfully.

Any idea why this happens?

I assisted somebody experiencing the same problem recently. The cause was simple: the individual concerned had added a runscript to the boot runlevel, whereas it should have been added to the default runlevel (net.eth0 in this particular case). You could run "find /etc/runlevels" and check to see if you have done something similar.

--Kerin