>> > This really freaks out eix-test-obsolete.  Does anyone know of a way to
>> > install only certain packages from a layman overlay and
>> > use eix-test-obsolete?
>>
>> I don't add such overlays to make conf. Instead, I symlink directories
for
>> the packages I want into my local overlay.
>>

> I did that, too. But it has become more difficult now. E.g. the 'progress'
> overlay uses new EAPIs and new eclasses which even pull in incompatible
packages, e.g. blas.

> I haven't found a way to handle that by symlinks of similar methods.

I'm trying to see if I can get away with the symlink method.  I removed the
"source /var/lib/layman/make.conf" line from make.conf, created
/usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/, and created a symlink in that directory
like "geek-sources -> /var/lib/layman/init6/sys-kernel/geek-sources" but I
get:

 * Missing digest for
'/usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources/geek-sources-3.7.0.ebuild'
 * Missing digest for
'/usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources/geek-sources-3.6.10.ebuild'
 * Missing digest for
'/usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/geek-sources/geek-sources-3.5.7.ebuild'

- Grant