Am 12.12.2012 02:40, schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:20:55PM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
>
>>> * From my observations, the benefit of 64 bit over 32 is much smaller for an
>>>   Atom than it is for my Core2.  Am I right to assume thus that the Atom
>>>   architecture doesn’t have much to offer to 64 bit (such as extra
>>> registers)?
>>>   I’m not talking about memory here, since it’s limited to 2 GB in any case.
>>>

>> It has the same set of registers as your Core2.
>
> Incidentally, when I initially set up the netbook, the output of
> gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | sed -n 's/.* -v - //p'
> (which floated around the ML in the past) implied core2, IIRC.
>
>> It's just that the Atom micro-architecture is terrible with regard to
>> 64bit. That's just about the only reason that x32 was invented (and
>> now that I've said it, I'm just waiting for the flamewar about it).
>
> Terrible in what way? Inadequate memory throughput? I didn't know x32,
> but from what I've read in the last few minutes it sounds intriguing.

Just citing Flameeyes who is citing Intel.
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2012/06/debunking-x32-myths

[...]
>>>   I sped up the installation process for 32 bit by using a chroot on the big
>>>   machine, which worked nicely.  But it’s not a long-term solution, b/c it
>>>   uses up too much disk space on the host.
>>
>> I do the same using NFS, bind mounts and tmpfs. What do you mean by disk
>> space?
>
> That I don't have much space left on the host machine for the entire
> chroot. I bind-mount distfiles and portage, but I'm still running low
> on gigabytes.
> I was thinking of NFS quite early, but a friend said it would perform
> not nicely. Also, with all my cables currently occupied, the two are
> connected over a slow WiFi router.  It's one of the rare cases in which
> compressing distcc traffic increases performance. :) The netbook has
> gigabit ethernet, though.  Thank $DEITY for compressed tar pipes over
> SSH.  I wonder what Windows people would do in such a situation. >:-]

I see. Yep, wifi is really not a good choice for this. NFS works nice,
though. I just ran into some minor trouble when setuid bits would not
survive merging. Haven't debugged this yet as it's easy enough to find
with a script.

[...]
>>> * The last thing I’m going to set up is filesystem encryption, at least for
>>> ~.
>>>   I already know/think that AES would be the best choice due to limited CPU
>>>   power, but what else is there to heed besides key size?
>>
>> Nothing, you're good. Hash and key chaining method have negligible
>> impact. If you stick with an x86_32 userspace I suggest at least using
>> an x64 kernel so you can use of CRYPTO_AES_X86_64.
>
> That's an interesting idea. If I had a 32 bit userland, I would have to
> build new kernels on my big 64 laptop then, right?  I don’t suppose I
> can simply mix chosts, such that I would have a multilib x86_64
> gcc/binutils/glibc, but i686 everything else.

Try this.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/190919

> I haven't done any comparisons of 32/64 crypto yet, I'm just reading
> docs on Luks (never used it before).  Big stuff (videos, music) won't be
> encrypted anyway, just the sensitive data like mail, documents,
> passwords and personal photos. So the requirements won't be high.
> However I might expand it to /, though that would involve a more
> complicated boot process (I never needed initrds except for bootsplash).

I personally see no reason for encrypting root as there is nothing of
interest in there. I just encrypt home, certain /var/* sub-mounts and
other stuff. That way, you can use /etc/init.d/dmcrypt.Actually, I've
tweaked the setup so that I can have LVM on top of Luks. If you're
interested, I can share the change.

> On a sidenote, While I was cleaning up unread mails in the ML, I just
> found your interesting frontswap/zcache trick.
>
> I wonder how many years I'd have to use the device to get back the time
> from improved performance that I spent setting it up in the first place.
> :-D

Consider it experience. ;-)

Regards,
Florian Philipp