On Wednesday 12 December 2012 09:51 PM, James wrote:

> Hello,
>
> OK so I'm now running udev-196-r1; booting fine now.
>
> upon reboot:
> net.eth0      [  stopped  ]
> net.eth3      [  started  ]
> netmount      [  stopped  ]
> sshd          [  stopped  ]
>
> eth0 is the mobo ethernet port, and it is fried.
> I have not used it in years. eth3 is an add on 100M
> ethernet card that has worked flawlessly. It is
> working fined still.
>
>  /etc/conf.d/eth3 is set up and works just fine.
>
> The easiest thing to do to fix this problem is
> unmap the eth0 hardware. Where best to do that?
>
> from lspci:
> 00:07.0 Bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2) <mobo>
>
> 1:06.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation
> DECchip 21142/43 (rev 41)
>
> Ideas on how to best fix this? Make the Nvidia ethernet chip
> invisible and the dec ethernet chip will automaticall be eth0?
>
> Other ideas?
>
> James

Well, most motherboards give BIOS (UEFI?) option to disable some
hardware that's present onboard.
I've a relatively old machine, so don't know what's the thing with UEFI.
My PC's BIOS has option to disable many things like Ethernet, Audio,
Serial Port, etc.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com