On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:18:21AM -0500, fe...@crowfix.com wrote:

> I will try some more desperate tricks today, like reconnecting the USB pile
> to see if it at least boots the disks again - is my choice between disks and
> keyboard?  I will find out.  My best guess right now is that booting 3.7.0 is
> what clobbered things; whether I added a option which loaded bad firmware, or
> 3.7.0 is broken, I have no idea.  It could well be something unrelated to
> 3.7.0.  My goal for today is to try to get keyboard and disk working, then
> boot with 3.6.8.

Whatever you think of logic, it is entirely illogical that a kernel could kill
your BIOS, or any hardware ... at least, just booting into it.

The southbridge is a good thing to look at, esp for a burned spot/pit.

My suggestion is http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

Our Gentoo images have been broken lately, and are short on tools always.
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting