On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 07:05:14PM -0600, Dale wrote:
> Walter Dnes wrote:
> > 1) In the past couple of days I finally figured out what I was doing
> > wrong with hardware acceleration (causing lack thereof) with an onboard
> > Intel GPU in my HTPC machine.  I've applied the same fix to my desktop.
> > mplayer now has 5 video output modes that actually show a picture...
> >
> > xv      X11/Xv
> > gl_nosw OpenGL no software rendering
> > x11     X11 ( XImage/Shm )
> > gl      OpenGL
> > gl2     X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
> >
> > Which one has the best playback ability?  Is there a test program or a
> > "torture test" video file I can use for testing?
> >

> > 2) When I start up mplayer, the diagnostics include...
> > "MMX2 supported but disabled"
> >
> > There is no "mmx2" in the USE flags or in /proc/cpuinfo
> >
> > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> > cpu family      : 6
> > model           : 15
> > model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4600  @ 2.40GHz
> > stepping        : 13
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
> > constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl
> > est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
> >
> > ...and I have "-march=native" in my CFLAGS.  Any explanations?
> >

> This may help, may not.  When I was playing with this a year or so ago,
> I found a HD test video on the internet somewhere.  I'm pretty sure it
> was 1080p.  I set smplayer to play and repeat the video and then I
> watched the CPU and temps on the video card.  I would try each setting
> and see how much CPU load there was and watched the temps on the video
> card.  I figure if the card temps are warmer, it is giving the card a
> work out instead of my CPU.
>
> I ended up using "gl (fast)" for mine but this may not work at all for
> your system.  This may give you a way to test the settings and sort of
> know if the right hardware is doing its job or not.
>
> Here is two links if you want to try my weird way of doing this:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITHbsUUlYI
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Innx3puNI
>
> I use downloadhelper to grab those then play them locally.  Both of
> those are available in 1080p tho.  Should warm up something.  ;-)
>
> Dale

Rather than downloadhelper and a web browser, try:

mingdao@workstation ~/test $ youtube-dl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITHbsUUlYI
[youtube] Setting language
[youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Downloading video webpage
[youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Extracting video information
[download] Destination: XITHbsUUlYI.mp4
[download]  30.5% of 107.04M at    1.43M/s ETA 00:52
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting