Am 25.12.2012 18:15, schrieb Dale:
> Florian Philipp wrote:
>> Am 25.12.2012 16:41, schrieb Mark Knecht:
>>> Hi,
>>>    Merry Christmas to all.
>>>
>>>    Upgrading an external USB2 drive at home this Christmas morning to
>>> 1TB for more video storage space. One large partition, non-raid, files
>>> are around 1GB. The drive holds only static video files that get
>>> written once and don't change or get erased. No MythTV stuff or
>>> anything like that.
>>>
>>>    This disk reside on my main desktop machine and gets backed up
>>> every couple of days to another USB2 drive (FAT formatted
>>> unfortunately) which attaches to the TV.
>>>
>>>    With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
>>> I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mark
>>>
>> Ext4 offers better performance for large files. This is especially
>> notable when you remove them but other operations are faster, too. XFS
>> would be the traditional large-file choice but since the arrival of
>> Ext4, I don't see a point in putting up with its quirks anymore.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Florian Philipp
>>

> For those who keep up with my adventures, I use ext4 for my home
> directory which has a LOT of videos.  Some videos are small and some are
> large but I can say this, it is really fast.  No fragmentation either.
>
> I also use ext4 for my backup drive.  I accidentally deleted some stuff
> one day and I can say this, it is VERY fast.  I'm just glad it was only
> a backup.
>
> I would second the idea for ext4.  It works great for me.
>
> Dale

On an amusing side note: I once was very happy that I happened to be
running ext3 at work. I accidentally started `rm -rf ~/*` and after more
than a minute I wondered why my disk was so busy ...

Anyway, thanks to its slow speed, rm only had time to eat away my rather
unimportant "archive" and "bin" directories and hasn't reached "doc"
yet. Thankfully bash sorts its glob expansions alphabetically. :D

Regards,
Florian Philipp