Michael Orlitzky wrote:

My first -m state rule is,
   iptables -A INPUT -p ALL -m state \
     --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

That was mine, too (you can omit -p in this case, can't you?).

And if what you say is true, I'd be in deep shit if it reset to,
   iptables -A INPUT -p ALL -m state -j ACCEPT
without a warning.

It *was* resetted here.  I just noticed it reading this discussion.

Don't exactly know what the "stateless" rule did (perhaps just
nothing?), but since I didn't notice it for a pretty long time,
it can't have been all to bad?!  At least, it didn't crash the
whole system :-)

But I would have appreciated at least an update notice, too!

-Matt