On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:

> greets ...
>
> today (at least in my timezone ;-) ) I saw gnome-3.6-related ebuilds
> coming up on my ~amd64 box ...
>
> I ran a backup (yes, experience ...) and emerged stuff ... so far it
> runs OK.
>
> There are changes and new features and I am still exploring stuff.
>
> The general question: is it a bug or a feature? ;-)
>
> for example Alt-leftclick doesn't allow me to move windows right now.
>
> bug?

No, it works that way. You could changed in previous versions with the
/apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier key in gconftool-2, but
now it's gone. I don't know if anyone is working on bring it back.

> What I'd like to discuss:
>
> how to start over for a given user? For example, I want to get rid of
> old stuff from gnome-1.x/2.x or so (I think of my ~-directory, not the
> overall system). Or even bigger, does it make sense to drop stuff from
> all those dot-directories in ~ from time to time (e.g. at bigger
> GUI-upgrades) and only keep some important ones?
>
> For example I would keep core stuff like .gnupg .ssh .bashrc
> .thunderbird (in my case) ... but I am sure there is loads of stuff to
> get rid of.
>
> Maybe most of it doesn't make a difference (hdd-space is cheap anyways)
> and isn't even read anymore by recent versions of software. But maybe
> some files/dirs should get dumped and forgotten.
>
> Do you gentoo-users have any opinions on this?
>
> Does it make any sense to re-create my main user(-dir)?

I started over with a clean $HOME, and I moved back the non-GNOME
stuff (.ssh, .gnupg, .bash*, etc). But maybe it was overkill.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México