On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 14:48:33 +0000 (UTC)
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013-01-09, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 02:47:07 +0000 (UTC)
>
> > The data on a medium can corrupt, and it can corrupt silently for a
> > long time.
>
> And I'm saying I've never seen that happen.
>
> So you're saying that the data on a medium can corrupt without being
> detected by the block encodings and CRCs used by the disk controller?

No, I'm not saying that *at*all*

I've been saying all along that data which you never go near can
corrupt silently while you are not using it. When you do eventually get
around to reading it, the electronics will do what they are designed to
do and properly detect a problem that already happened.

> > At some point it may deteriorate to where it passes a cusp
> > and then you will get your first visible sign
>
> No, the first visible sign in the scenario you're describing would be
> a read returning erroneous data.

That's what I said. The first VISIBLE sign is an error. You want to
catch it before then.

Analogy time: A murderer plans to do Grant. By observing Grant and only
observing Grant, the first visible sign of an issue is the death of
Grant. Obviously this is sub-optimum and we should be looking at a few
more things than just Grant in order to preserve Grant.

> > - read failure. You did not see anything that happened prior as it
> > was silent.
>
> If a read successfully returns correct data, how is it "silent"?

I never used those words and never said "successfully returns correct
data". At best I said something equivalent to "If a read returns".

The point I'm trying hard to make is that all our fancy hardware merely
gives an *apparency* of reliable results that are totally right or
totally wrong. It looks that way because the IT industry spent much
time creating wrappers and APIs to give that effect. Under the covers
where the actual storage happens it is not like that, and errors can
happen. They are rare.

Lucky for us, these days we have precision machinery and clever
mathematics that reduce the problem vastly. I know in my own case the
electronics offer a reliability that far exceeds what I need so I can
afford to ignore rare problems. Other people have different needs.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com