On 10-Jan-13 19:21, Florian Philipp wrote:
Am 10.01.2013 19:06, schrieb Paul Hartman:
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Jarry <mr.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

I just updated gcc from 4.5.4 to 4.6.3, switched compiler
version, rebuilt libtool, but "emerge --depclean" still
does not want to remove old gcc. "equery list gcc" shows
both are still installed:
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-4.5.4:4.5
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-4.6.3:4.6

If they are in slots, the newer version won't necessarily obsolete the
older version.

You can use "emerge --depclean -p -v gcc:4.5" to view any remaining
dependencies on that slotted version.

You can use "emerge -C gcc:4.5" to remove only that slot's version of gcc.

Even better:
emerge -av --depclean gcc:4.5

This will unmerge the gcc slot if and only if there is no dependency.

My guess is you have sys-devel/gcc:4.5 in your world file and not just
sys-devel/gcc and that's the reason why depclean won't clean it up.

Well, I have *both* sys-devel/gcc *and* sys-devel/gcc:4.5 in
/var/lib/portage/world, but how did this happen? I have never
put it there! I did not install gcc, I think it came as part
of stage3 (system), so why is it suddenly in my world-file?

Jarry