On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 06:17:04PM -0600, Dale wrote:
> walt wrote:
> > On 01/20/2013 01:29 AM, victor romanchuk wrote:
> >> just migrated to sys-fs/udev-197 - everything went smoothly and seems to
> >> work. the only observation at this time is absence of device file
> >> /dev/root whilst both /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts are referring to that
> >> device node:
> >>
> >> # grep root /etc/mtab /proc/mounts
> >> /etc/mtab:/dev/root / ext4 rw,relatime,commit=0 0 0
> >> /proc/mounts:rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> >> /proc/mounts:/dev/root / ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
> > I see exactly the same and didn't even notice until you mentioned it.
> > Did /dev/root really exist in the /dev/ directory in the past?  Can't
> > remember.
> >

> It does here:
>
> root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/root
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan 10 07:12 /dev/root -> sda6
> root@fireball / #
>
> Since this appears to be a issue now, I'm switching to eudev.  For some
> reason, I can't mask enough to keep it as it is now.  I hope I don't
> loose my uptime.
>
> root@fireball / # uptime
>  18:16:17 up 120 days, 11:25,  9 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.63, 1.09
> root@fireball / #
>
> Dale

You should have stuck with udev *before* systemd took over:
 >=sys-fs/udev-181
 >=virtual/udev-181

Then you wouldn't have these problems now. There are 8 or more Gentoo boxen
running on this LAN with the above and none of the issues that come up daily
now in this ML.

Think very carefully before you "switch to eudev". It's not even stable, nor
proven, and will surely result in you losing much more than a little uptime.
Think hair, time, serenity. ;)

Bruce
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting