> > Overheating problem? Considering it's about a Pentium 4, that seems a likely
> > cause.
>
> Which P4 i has not so probs. The probs come with Atom.

Older systems used to reset on overheat so it was obviously hardware.
Newer cpus actually halt and then continue operation. Most of the time
you won't notice, your laptop will just run slower than the spec would
suggest. Some laptops never actually use the cpu fully from day one and
so things like dust or a failing fan may make it very noticeable.

Could be lots of things but I would check your temp sensors from
the os or bios before the kernel.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)