On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Florian Philipp <li...@binarywings.net> wrote:
> Am 27.01.2013 03:24, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Florian Philipp <li...@binarywings.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi list!
>>>
>>> Quick question: If I deactivate the kmod use flag in udev and keep
>>> sys-apps/module-init-tools, does udev still load modules or is kmod a
>>> required flag for that?
>>
>> I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. The git repository has not a
>> single instance of the strings "modprobe" or "insmod", apparently the
>> only way to load modules in udev is to use kmod. I think the kmod
>> configure option (which is the one the USE flag activate/deactivate),
>> is for systems where all the modules are built-in, like embedded ones.
>>

> Okay. I thought I've heard about some dev patching udev to work with
> modprobe at one point. Could be mistaken or outdated, though.

The patches in the ebuild don't include anything to use modprobe:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~williamh/dist/udev-197-patches-1.tar.bz2

>> Unless udev has no other means to load modules, I think disabling kmod
>> assumes then that all the modules are built-in. And if you use
>> modules, may I ask why you would prefer module-init-tools over kmod?
>> Specially when the later is a drop-in, better supported replacement?
>>

> Is it really a drop-in? I was under the impression that for example
> `modprobe -l` is not implemented (mentioned in a comment on the eudev
> fork on LWN). I guess that's outdated as well.

No, modprobe -l is not supported, but it's trivially to emulate, and
the option was already deprecated in module-init-tools. From the kmod
README:

"kmod-modprobe gained several features to be a 1:1 replacement for
modprobe. The only missing things are the options '--showconfig' and
'-t / -l'. These last ones have been deprecated long ago and they will
be removed from modprobe. A lot of effort has been put on
kmod-modprobe to ensure it maintains compabitility with modprobe."

As you yourself commented, using an alias with find more than enough.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México