On 02/04/2013 10:52:44 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 16:53:09 +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> On the very first boot the cloned system fails to mount all file systems
> even /dev/pts which is a bit problematic when doing all this from
> remote.
>
> I get PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
>
> Luckily I still can use the console on the remote system although I
> don't
> get a prompt.

Did you copy /dev/null and /dev/console to the new machine. These need to
exist on the root partition as they are needed before udev starts.

Thanks Neil,
what do you mean by copy?

When cloning, I transfer a tarball of the root and usr partition.
Doesn't that suffice?

The only thing which comes to my mind now is that the tarball was created from
a live root partition.

Helmut.