Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Do you have a special need to use Plex over XBMC for the back-end?

No.

> I would say XBMC does everything you need. It supports profiles, which
> give you the password protection you mentioned, and there are many
> awesome front-end/remotes for android and i* in the markets. Just don't
> use the so-called "official XBMC remotes", that one uses an obsolete
> http API to XBMC, the current code base (Eden and Frodo) uses something
> much better in json. The best remote/front-end currently for android is
> Yatse IMNSHO

All good to know.

> Ditch gentoo entirely for this and use OpenElec instead (openelec.tv).
> It's XBMC on an appliance, and all of the maintenance issue you will
> experience (like broken libav or ffmpeg....) just ImmediatelyGoAway(tm)

This looks promising. I need to drill deeper into the Arm chips (SOC)
that support OpenElec, Geexbox and such application.

What about geexbox? How does it stack up in a comparision to what
you have tried? I just stumbled across it. In fact, is there
a good review somewhere that talks about many of these sort of HTPC
systems in a feature comparison?

> minidlna (in the tree) is a nice minimal media server, you get none of
> the xbmc awesomeness (like fanart and libraries and posters), but it's
> quick and fast and delivers content nicely. There are many front ends
> out there all speaking DLNA, and they support pushing and pulling
> content to varying degrees.

Another interesting offering.

Do any (all?) of these video servers mearly work over wired ethernet
or the HDMI output port, or do some of them broadcast locally over wifi,
which can be picked up by apple and android phones?

My video camera can stream into a linux device via the the usb or the
mini HDMI port. I'm not sure how to set up a hdmi port on a linux host
to receive input from the hdmi output on the camera?  What I want to do is
then rebroadcast over wifi so every phone in the local (wifi) area can
 watch the video live on their phone as well as playback and other
intersperced content (player stats etc).

What would you recommend ?

Which apps would the iphone or the android phone run to receive the
wifi re-broadcasts?