On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:55 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The last time I set this up was for one of our e-commerce sites on Centos.
>>>
>>> It went like this:
>>>
>>> install nginx
>>> vi config file
>>> change obvious stuff
>>> tweak location of nginx and backend web server
>>> restart stuff
>>> stuff worked
>>>
>>> Even the SSL certs was mind-bogglingly easy. Copy it over to nginx.
>>> Sorted. Done.
>>>
>>> Lucky for me, I could firewall off the backend web server from the
>>> entire world so users never see it directly. This let me dispense with a
>>> CE signed cert for the backend and just create my own.
>>
>> So you're saying nginx listens on 80/443 and apache listens on
>> 1000/1001 (for example) and you firewalled 1000/1001 from all but
>> localhost?
>>
>> Can I use the same SSL certs with nginx that I've been using with apache?
>

> Yes, that's exactly correct.
>

>> - Grant
>>
>> P.S. Thanks for the shot of courage.
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan.mckin...@gmail.com

Unless you have a special reason to use Apache, Nginx plays well with
most modern webapps.
And it has a module for uwsgi which is an amazing protocol. The uwsgi
process manager can run pretty much every bloody app (incl PHP!).

I have been using nginx exclusively on all my servers and I've been
running PHP, Python and Ruby apps without any glitch. But I prefer
PHP's original FPM to uwsgi.

--
Nilesh Govindrajan
http://nileshgr.com