On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:37:07 +0000 (UTC)
"Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)" <nunojsi...@ist.utl.pt> wrote:

> On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:

> >> I'd guess eudev will eventually do the same, although I hope that,
> >> it being a separate codebase, makes it easier to adopt some
> >> solution like the old rule generator, instead of using udev's
> >> approach.
> >>
> >> The udev upstream may have its issues, but there's actually a
> >> point in removing this, the approach there was so far was just a
> >> dirty hack.
> >>

> > Thing is, it works for me.  The old udev worked, eudev works but
> > I'm not sure what hoops I would have to go through to get the new
> > udev working, most likely the same ones others here are going
> > through now.  For once, I'm not having to deal with some broken
> > issue.  < knock on wood >
> >
> > My current uptime is about 190 days.  May hit it still but I'm
> > certainly hoping I don't.
>
> And, at least now, I have got enough knowledge to know whether it
> affects me or not. But the sad thing is that I got most of that
> knowledge *after* the first of these versions without the old script
> was stabilized.

Another sad thing is that if you want to find out about the option to
keep the old-style naming rules, Udev/upgrade page
<https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade> just links to bug 453494,
so instead of a guide, users get to read a bug entry with 94 comments
(and counting).

I went with the new persistent names because it seemed simpler and
because there was relatively clearer information about how it should be
done.

Once upon a time, for an upgrade like this, Gentoo would have produced
a guide summarizing the pros and cons of the two courses of actions
along with a recipe for each one.  (Or if not a recipe, at least a list
of all the considerations needed for each path.)