Hi João,

João Matos:
> Hi list.
>
> I decided to install a virtual server for testing some stuff, but I
> couldn't configure eth0 as usual. The system complain it doesn't
> exist. After compiling the kernel hundreds  of times, I supposed the
> problem wasn't my kernel configuration then installed dhcpcd.
Due to the new udev version, the devices will be renamed by default to
names like enp0s3. This is not done by the kernel and no driver issue,
just a renaming at boot time done by udev.

> For my surprise, I got an IP address, but there weren't eth0, just
> enp0s3 instead. It wouldn't be a problem (even with dhcp), but I can't
> start any service. They (sshd) complain that there is no eth0.
You might have some old references to eth0 around, e.g.:
- /etc/init.d/net.eth0 (move this file to /etc/init.d/net.enp0s3)
- entries in /etc/conf.d/net (same here, rename them all to enp0s3)
- net.eth0 is maybe installed in the default runlevel. Remove it and add
net.enp0s3
- in case SSH still refuses to start, try running "/lib/rc/bin/rc-depend
-u" as root and/or setting rc_depend_strict="NO" in /etc/rc.conf

> I'm using stable packages (x86).
>
> Any suggestions? Thank you.
>
> --
> João de Matos