On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 22:20:51 +0100, Mick wrote:

> > Where does this come from? Udev renames the interfaces when it
> > initialises them, what difference does it make where it loads the
> > driver code from? I am seeing consistent behaviour across machines
> > with drivers built in and as modules.
>
> I don't, and recall reading about this somewhere (was it this M/L? )
> but can't find it right now.

I've read suggestions, but no evidence.

> I have noticed that PCI installed NICs get renamed by udev, while
> extreneous NICs, e.g. USB based devices retain their old naming
> convention.
>
> In my case the non-MoBo cards and devices happened to have drivers
> installed as modules - they were not renamed.  Perhaps I drew an
> erroneous correlation.

I have a couple of devices that are not renamed, the drivers are modules
but they also give nothing useful when running the udevadm command from
the news item. I think it is more likely that the lack of renaming is due
to udev not being able to find a unique name to give them.

--
Neil Bothwick

The law of Probability Dispersal decrees that whatever it is that hits
the fan will not be evenly distributed.