Hi Dale!

Am 13.04.2013 13:54, schrieb Dale:
> Pandu Poluan wrote:
>>

>> I myself prefer AMD CPUs to Intel ones.
>>
>> Intel has this habit of 'segmenting' their processor features. E.g.,
>> Intel VT-x (Intel's buggy implementation of AMD-V) is not available
>> across the board.

What is VT-x ????

And also all the time, Intel promotes for their "Hiperthreading"
support, as well Intel swears on their "QuickPath" system they have
developed and should release the FSB which is stil being used at AMD,
even when they mention that "MT (Megatransfer instead GHZ) for
describing their frontside bus speed....

so, it is in this case not only the CPU's speed, also the Speed the data
reaches the memory, and other components like the GPU of your graphics
device, no?!

And what about Hyperthreading?! At the Gentoo make configuration guide,
the intel corei7 are fully supported.

There is being described, that if Intel corei 5 or 7 CPU's are used, I
could double the amount of cpu's for compiling

MAKEOPTS="-j8" (for a quadcore core i5 / 7) because of it's
hyperthreading support.

 If one needs to leverage VT-x for virtualization
>> purposes, one must be double sure that the CPU one bought supports VT-x.
>>
>> All latest AMD CPUs (except the laptop versions) support all AMD
>> features.

Where are the latest AMD CPU sets on Gentoo used at all ?! What about
the Intel's one?! And do they make a huge difference in this case?!

If you can give me a deep technical answer, I would be very happy....

The money is not what counts. It's the system stability. My AMD cpu was
veryyyyy loooong time ago an "AMD Athlon XP" which makde me a lots of
headache.

The intel ones after it served me this 7 years well..... However, I do
not swear using intel, but I want to know if it makes sense or to buy a
new intel cpu or it's only advertising in the cloud.

I believe AMD is doing meanwhile stable cpu's as well, but from the
technologie it is not only the number of cores for a stable gentoo
system that counts ?!

Tamer

 So, as long as one does not buy a laptop CPU, one can be