On 04/18/13 17:25, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On 18/04/2013 14:34, Hartmut Figge wrote:
Stroller:
On 18 April 2013, at 02:12, Joseph wrote:

I have uninstalled cups-pdf and when I go any program "print" there is still option:
"Print to file" except that now 'Save to folder" by default is empty field, before if I
remember was a user home directory.

Well, I would have assumed that cups-pdf would be necessary for printing to PDF, but I
would like to see a screenshot of this "default empty field".

I have not installed cups-pdf and don't use evince for printing. But i
have tested the problem. After pressing File->Print... this window opens

http://www.triffids.de/pub/screenshot/ev130418.png

Pressing 'Print' in this window results in the the error window unless
the field 'Name:' with the prefilled value output.pdf is deleted and
manually replaced by e.g. output.pdf. *g*

The console error is regarding invalid UTF-8 strings in filenames.

I'm betting the cause is idiotic filename munging by evince or one of
the lower libraries involved, which makes it a bug.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com

SOLVED!
x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.16 has bugs I dowgraded to x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.12
and both Firefox and evince can print to pdf to any direcotry.

--
Joseph