On 04/25/2013 11:02 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-04-25 10:33 AM, Nick Khamis <sym...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We are trying to sync our server's time with an accurate ntp
>> server, and was wondering which of the many solutions are
>> considered viable. I did see the
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Time_Synchronization.
>
> Are these virtualized? It makes a difference, and from everything I've
> read, you don't sync virtualized servers the same as bare metal servers.
>
>> Our services are quite time sensitive.
>
> Ummm... *all* servers are critically time-sensitive.

Some are more critical than others. If you're primarily worried about
kerberos, variance of up to a couple minutes will likely go unnoticed.
If you're dumping logs into splunk, and need second-precision timestamps
to be comparable to each other across a multi-campus network, that's a
different degree of time-sensitive. If you're using a distributed
filesystem with time-sensitive conflict resolution algorithms, you could
easily start caring down to sub-millisecond ranges.