On Apr 26, 2013 9:46 AM, "Mark David Dumlao" <madum...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
> > Can't get to see dmesg, the system locked up tight.
> >
> > I can create an ext4 fs on a different partition, and since the 'disk'
is
> > actually a RAID array, if the array is going south, I should see the
same
> > problem with ext4, right?
>
> I am guessing that mkreiserfs happens to touch parts of the disk that
> mke2fs doesn't, and that the system hangs because the disk becomes
> unresponsive. I will predict that mkntfs, which by default zeroes out
> the partition, will fail similarly?
> --
> This email is:    [ ] actionable   [ ] fyi        [x] social
> Response needed:  [ ] yes          [x] up to you  [ ] no
> Time-sensitive:   [ ] immediate    [ ] soon       [x] none

Okay, everybody, thanks for all the input!

Since this is a server in my office, I couldn't test until I arrive in my
office.

I'm now (just) arrived in my office, and I will try the following:

1. Create Reiserfs on a different partition, and

2. Create a different fs on the problematic partition.

I'll report back with what happened.

Rgds,