Am 29.04.2013 11:43, schrieb cov...@ccs.covici.com:
> Kevin Thompson <ph...@ewnix.net> wrote:

>>> OK, we will see what happens, so I have set spawn=no which should work
>>> to prevent pa except in gnome, so hopefully that should work.
>>>
>>> Thanks for clarifying this for me.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
>>> How do
>>> you spend it?
>>>
>>>          John Covici
>>>          cov...@ccs.covici.com
>>>

>> I had the same issue here when installing pulseaudio. I don't use GNOME,
>> so that does take part of the equation away. The problem was solved by
>> changing permissions to /dev/snd and it's containing files. After
>> chmodding /dev/snd/* to 666, I was able to play sounds as a normal user.
>> In the Gentoo guide, it mentions this, and it also mentions taking your
>> user out of the audio group if you're currently in it. Please see
>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PulseAudio#Root_can_play_sound.2C_other_users_cannot
>> for more detailed information.
>
> Thanks for your response, but here is my /dev/snd directory, so its a
> mystery to me.  I am, however in the audio group, I wonder if that makes
> a difference.
> total 0
> drwxr-xrwx   3 freeswitch apache     280 Apr 27 15:53 ./
> drwxr-xr-x  17 root       root      4980 Apr 28 22:58 ../
> drwxr-xrwx   2 freeswitch apache      60 Apr 27 15:53 by-path/
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116, 10 Apr 27 15:53 controlC0
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116,  2 Apr 27 15:53 hwC0D0
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116,  3 Apr 27 15:53 midiC0D0
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116,  9 Apr 27 15:53 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116,  8 Apr 29 00:15 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116,  7 Apr 27 15:53 pcmC0D1c
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116,  6 Apr 27 15:53 pcmC0D2c
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116,  5 Apr 27 15:53 pcmC0D2p
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116,  4 Apr 27 15:53 pcmC0D3p
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116,  1 Apr 27 15:53 seq
> crw-rw-rw-+  1 freeswitch apache 116, 33 Apr 27 15:53 timer
>
> I run freeswitch, so this is why I have the users this way.

Those devices in there should be owned by root:audio

$ ls -al /dev/snd/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root      260 Apr 28 20:07 .
drwxr-xr-x  17 root root     4100 Apr 29 12:50 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root       60 Apr 28 20:07 by-path
crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116, 10 Apr 28 20:07 controlC0
crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  2 Apr 28 20:07 hwC0D0
crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  3 Apr 28 20:07 midiC0D0
crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  9 Apr 28 20:24 pcmC0D0c