On 08/05/2013 07:55, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'm running mdev, so that may be related.  Here's my story... a script
> I run to automatically process digital photos started blowing up on me.
> After much bashing of head against brick wall, I determined that
> /dev/shm now has an absolute max size of 10 megabytes!  Any larger files
> could not be written to it.  Here's all the uncommented stuff in /etc/fstab
>

> /dev/sda5               /         ext2     noatime,nodiratime,async        0 1
> /dev/sda7               /home     reiserfs noatime,nodiratime,async,notail 0 1
> /home/bindmounts/opt    /opt      auto     bind                            0 0
> /home/bindmounts/var    /var      auto     bind                            0 0
> /home/bindmounts/usr    /usr      auto     bind                            0 0
> /home/bindmounts/tmp    /tmp      auto     bind                            0 0
> /dev/sda6               none            swap            sw              0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,users,ro 0 0
> /dev/sr0                /mnt/dvd        auto            noauto,users,ro  0 0
> devpts  /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
> none              /dev/shm        tmpfs rw,noatime,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
>
>   Meanwhile, my netbook, with the /dev/shm line commented out, runs just
> fine and handles large files in /dev/shm.  I followed the example at
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Complete_Handbook/Configuring_the_system
> with slightly more paranoid settings, e.g. noexec.  What gives?

a tmpfs defaults to half ram size. If yours is 10M, then quite obviously
you run some code somewhere that does it different :-)

You could go through the effort of tracking down why. Unless this is a
default behaviour of mdev which needs debugging, pathcing and fixing, I
don't think you should spend any brain cycles on this, just add this to
the mount options

size=50%

--
Alan McKinnon