Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 11 May 2013 16:12:52 -0700, walt wrote:
>
>> Dale, you didn't describe the symptoms you're seeing, but maybe
>> just seeing how I did it will help:
>>
>> menuentry "memtest86" {
>>  search -l gentoo64unstable -s root
>>  linux ($root)/boot/memtest86/memtest
>>  boot
>> }
>
> I don't know about memtest86, but memtest86+ installs a menu file
> in /etc/grub.d, which means grub-mkconfig handles it.
>
> % cat /etc/grub.d/39_memtest86+
> #!/bin/sh
> exec tail -n +3 $0
>
> menuentry "memtest86+ 4.20" {
>         linux16 /boot/memtest86plus/memtest
> }
>
> menuentry "memtest86+ 4.20 (netbsd)" {
>         insmod bsd
>         knetbsd /boot/memtest86plus/memtest.netbsd
> }

That is what I did last.  I just emerged the thing and it put the file
there.  You know I don't reboot often here but this is what it says when
I update grub:

root@fireball / # /root/grub-update
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/kernel-3.8.7-1
Found linux image: /boot/kernel-3.6.6-1
Found linux image: /boot/kernel-3.5.3-3
done
root@fireball / #

Shouldn't there be a line for the memtest entry or does it not show
that?  Maybe it is working and I don't know it yet.  lol

Oh, I have a script that has the longer command in it with all the nifty
options.  That's why the command is different.

root@fireball / # cat /root/grub-update

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
root@fireball / #

Thanks for the help.