A new install 64-bit Dell.  I noted all the font files in my old
machine's /var/lib/world file and installed them on the new machine.
Notwithstanding that I had mysterious problems.  One of the icons on my
ICEWM toolbar launches the command...

xterm -bg black -fg cyan -geometry 80x58 -fn lucidasanstypewriter-12

  I got error messages about not being able to find the font,
notwithstanding that I have both
media-fonts/font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi and
media-fonts/font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi installed.  This had 3
unpleasant side-effects...

1) xterm went to a smallish default font that was rather hard to read

2) I figured no problem; I'll go {CTRL-RIGHTCLICK} and select a larger
font.  However, as soon as I did that, the xterm shut down!

3) xfreecell wouldn't start due to a font-not-found error.  Now it's
getting really serious.

  After a bunch of futile screwing around including a reprise of my
http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/msg123858.html
I exited X and performed a "font transplant".  I.e. I renamed
/usr/share/fonts and copied over the /usr/share/fonts directory from the
older machine.  And it works beautifully.  I've backed up the directory
to a tarball on USB stick, just in case.  And I will be monitoring any
updates with an eagle eye.

  Anyone have any ideas?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>