On 05/16/2013 09:06 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

Has anyone of you managed to map the "Search" button of the Logitech
MX620 to another function?

A client wants to use that button for panning drawings ... we fiddled
with xmodmap etc but with no success so far.

That button gives not "button press" event ... so it's kind of strange.

Maybe I have to add some xorg-config section?

EmulateWheelButton sounds interesting because panning with pressing the
wheel works, but is inaccurate (you often move the wheel as well ...).

Take a look at imwheel. It's a little unmaintained but it still works. I've used it on an old MX1000 and my current PreformanceMX.

You can set mouse buttons on a per window/program basis to have different effects for whichever window has focus. Thus "search" for Firefox and "paste" for Thunderbird.

You also might need lomoco to turn on the button. I remember with my MX1000, I had to enable the two scroll wheels as buttons. Otherwise they were used by the mouse to "scroll fast" which I found pretty useless.