On Friday 07 Jun 2013 09:06:47 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 07/06/2013 06:12, Chris Stankevitz wrote:

> > An ethernet device is sometimes represented by the string "eth0".
> > Regarding this string "eth0":
> >
> > 1. What does this string represent?  Is it a file on a filesystem?
> > (no!)  Is it okay for me to call it an "ethernet *device*"
[snip...]

> For more info, research this list going back about 4 months. The whole
> topic was discussed at length. Search for "udev persistent names". A
> word of warning - it wasn't pretty at the time and nothing changed just
> becuase those mails are now archived :-)

Let's hope that the mere mention of that thread does not kick off another
rant-storm about udev, systemd, banking bailouts, global warming, ... LOL!

More detail on the <aheam!> predictable interface naming scheme can be found
here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

and some suggestions for upgrading to the latest stable version of udev in
Gentoo were published here:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade

HTH.
--