Benjamin Grauer schreef:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Grauer schreef:
>>

>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> i use an ati graphicscard with fglrx, and since this f* driver
>>> does not work with 2.6.12-kernels, i wondered if i could emerge
>>> old kernels...
>>>

>> Yes it does work with 2.6.12 kernels..
>>

> not for me... same config (as in 2.6.11) leads to black screen in
> 2.6.12 and all i can do then is a reboot

That suggests that you have misconfigured something in your new kernel....

Do you possibly have DRI enabled in the kernel? It is on by default in a
new kernel config, but it must be turned off for the ATI drivers to work.

Second, did you re-emerge ati-drivers after compiling the new kernel?

Third, is your xorg.conf set to use internal agpgart (from the fglrx
driver) or not (external agpgart from the kernel)?

If it is set to "no", because you need to use the kernel module, did you
also enable support for your motherboard, if a kernel module is
available for that?

What, btw, is your motherboard/chipset? And what is your ATI card, while
we're at it? Is your system 32-bit or 64-bit?

This driver does in fact work under 2.6.12; I've been using two
different versions of the driver (8.14.13-r2 and 8.16.20) under several
2.6.12 series kernels (-r6, r9, and now -r10 as soon as I reboot), and I
know it works without 'extra' modification from what is normally
necessary to get these drivers to install properly. I haven't seen the
'black screen on boot' issue since before we went to the new numbering
system (or shortly after we went to the new numbering system; in any
case, it's been so long that I don't even remember exactly when it
stopped in terms of it being a driver problem, rather than an error on
my part).

Holly