On 06/27/2013 10:13:55 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

exfat does what you want - it was designed to "just work" on the very
large removeable media we have nowadays (think 7G movie files) and
bypass all the nonsense like "does the user that created this file even
exist on the machine that is reading it?"

It also works pretty well

Hi,
my comment might be completely off topic, but it might, as well, be a serious warning.

I have a Garmin GPS device which has an internal storage of 4GB and an additional SD card
with a capacity of 32 GB. The device can be attached to a USB port.

Now, when looking from (a virtual) Windows 7 OS, the file systems on both of these are reported
as FAT 32. In addition running CHKDSK doesn't reveal any problems.

Looking from my native GenToo (on the very same hardware, without Windows running), the smaller 4GB file system looks just nice (files and meta data being identical to what Windows has reported)

The larger file system (declared as vfat in /etc/fstab) gets mounted without any problems. But an 'ls' commands shows question marks all over the place except for few single characters. In addition, in the beginning, when there were less than 4GB data on that SD card, the file system looked just fine under Linux, as well. Only afterwards, like now, when it holds more than 20GB data,
I cannot use it any more from my Gentoo system.

Does anybody have an idea what's going on or where to report this bug?

Many thanks,
Helmut.

P.S. I have tried to mount that file system as exFAT under GenToo but that was rejected.