Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Questions.  Can a virus infect the OS when running on Linux through
>> java/javascript/flash?  Or would the infection at the least be limited
>> to that user?
> I think how they typically work, on any OS, is they exploit a bug in
> the browser (or a browser plug-in) to run code on your local machine,
> and then that code exploits the operating system in order to get
> root-level privileges. After it has that, the possibilities are
> endless...
>
> There's nothing special about Linux that would make that scenario play
> out any better than it does on Windows, but in reality the number of
> exploits found for Windows has been greater, and the number of Linux
> web browser users is far fewer, so it's pretty rare to see web pages
> that target Linux exploits (but I do read about them from time to
> time).
>
> I personally use Firefox with RequestPolicy, NoScript and Adblock
> Plus. That still won't protect me from a bug in Firefox itself. I
> suppose if I really wanted to be paranoid I would run it in a virtual
> machine (but, hey, those can be exploited, too). At some point, you
> have to just go with it and hope for the best. Either that or turn off
> the computer. :)

That's my thinking to but also see my reply to Walter.  I use Linux for
several reasons and security is one of them.  Linux is more security
oriented and faster with fixes be it a browser or some other package.
Gentoo works with upstream to get serious issues fixed pretty fast.

>> How is html5 going to affect this?  Better or worse?
> HTML5 is already here and you're probably already using it. :) The
> biggest benefit to using "anything but Flash" is the idea that the
> code is not in Adobe's hands and that the community would identify and
> fix bugs sooner. But that's not guaranteed to be the case.
>
> A web browser is perhaps the most complicated piece of software most
> of us will ever run on our computers, and there's a lot of room for
> mistakes to happen in those millions of lines of code. Anything can
> happen.
>
> .

I have opted in for html5 on youtube.  I think I also have a plugin that
enables html5 as well when available.  I have one for https as well.
Given this NSA mess, may help a little anyway.  O_O

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!