On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:31:28AM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote
> IceWM (with ROXFiler if you want Desktop icons, etc)
>
> lightening fast, easy to configure

  Blackbox WM here.  This goes back to when my 6-year-old Dell, 450 mhz
PIII, 128 megs of RAM, was still my main machine.  The GNOME and KDE
people write some great apps (Gimp, Gnumeric, AbiWord, KDE Office), but
their "desktop environments" are huge, bloated, resource hogs.  With
Blackbox, I can still run the apps, without the desktop.  Put it this way

  I don't run desktops, I run applications.

  I think lightweight WM's will be important.  Linux in general will
have a great "window of Opportunity" when Vista is released.  A lot of
current machines will not be able to run it well ("crawl" != "run").  If
people are faced with a choice of throwing out their old W2K, and XP
machines, and buying new ones, versus keeping their machines and
switching to linux, I think we could see quite a few converts.  We can
also pound away on the TCO angle at Microsoft's expense.  Running the
latest version of linux doesn't require you to buy a new desktop.  On
the other hand, that may explain why some PC hardware companies are so
lukewarm (in some cases hostile) about linux support.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca