On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Alessio Ababilov
<ilovegnuli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Alessio.

> I wrote a script that allows /usr merge in Gentoo without changes to
> ebuilds.
>
> I described it in an article
> http://aababilov.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/usr-merge-in-gentoo/
>
> Are there any volunteers to test it? I use it on my computers for two
> months.

I think it's a great experiment, but perhaps too much work for little
gain, at least currently.

The next council meeting will vote if separated /usr without and
initramfs is officially supported by Gentoo; I hope this time around
finally is officially and unequivocally stated by the council that a
separated /usr without an initramfs is *NOT* supported.

When that is out of the way, several packages will start to naturally
move to /usr, since most upstreams are doing that, and eventually we
will have empty /bin, /sbin, and /lib directories. Then there will be
no need for a script to move everything to /usr; which is good: I
believe in Gentoo a flag-day doesn't really work.

The usr-merge will be a slow, gradual change; it will probably take
years. The systemd package entered the tree in June 2011, after more
than a year in an overlay, and then it took more than two years to
make it an official alternative to OpenRC. The /usr merge will take a
similar amount of time, if not longer.

But it's good to know that you can do the merge now; thanks for
sharing your experiment.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés