On 17/08/2013 20:03, Grant wrote:
>>> This is actually a portage question.  How can I install udisks-2 in a
>>> way that will fix this problem?  I'm confused by how to handle the
>>> slotting behavior.
>>
>> emerge udisks:2
>>
>> A SLOT is treated as two different packages that just happen to have the
>> same name, so there's a ":<something>" appended to differentiate them.
>>
>> Other packages that use udisks will define which SLOT they DEPEND on in
>> their ebuild, if it's important to distinguish them that way.
>
> It looks like installing udisks-2 to SLOT 2 would mean installing into
> a new slot.  I don't think that will fix the behavior I described
> below.  I think I need to upgrade one of the currently installed
> udisks slots to udisks-2.  Is that correct, or am I misunderstanding
> and I should just follow your instructions?

You can't upgrade a slot, portage sees as if they were two different
packages. You can't "upgrade firefox to chrome" either for the same
reason. Instead, you unmerge the slot you do not want and fix everything
that remains (@preserved-rebuild, revdep-rebuild etc)

You haven't yet said which app you are using that won't umount the
camera, so it's a bit difficult to give proper advice. We'd need some
info first?

- what is the app in question?
- relevant USE flags it uses?
- what does it link to?