Approx a week ago, I got a new computer, AMD64 on a K8 Triton Gigabyte
Triton Nforce 4 motherboard.  Today, ethernet stopped functioning.  I
couldn't even get it to work with the Gentoo minimal install CD.  It was
running OK the past week with...
"<*>   Reverse Engineered nForce Ethernet support (EXPERIMENTAL)" built
into the kernel (would be forcedeth as a module).  I looks like it has
died on me.  My old backup machine, hooked up to the same 4-port
ADSL-modem/router connects to the net just fine.  I swapped the ethernet
cables to check if it was a bad router port or cable.  The old machine
works, the new one doesn't.  "m3000" is the machine's hostname.  The
following message shows up in my logs (and on tty12) when I try to
access a web site...

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
Sep  4 11:47:31 m3000 nv_stop_tx: TransmitterStatus remained busy<7>eth0:
tx_timeout: dead entries!

lspci -vv shows the following...

0000:00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a2)
        Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device e000
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

  It's Sunday afternoon, and tomorrow's a holiday.  Any last-minute ideas
or tweaks before I take it back to the shop on Tuesday?

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca