On Mon, August 19, 2013 22:51, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 19/08/2013 22:32, jo...@antarean.org wrote:
>>> X11, well that's another story and probably way off topic. It was
>> X11 was still really awesome in 2002. When we used remote graphical
>> logons to different machines.
>> It also helped with performance of certain desktop applications. Running
>> the application on a different machine (with better CPU) then the
>> machine I was working at always made people wonder why the same
>> application was performing so badly on theirs ;)
>>
>> But these days. Having fast reliable performance locally is better. With
>> a decent RDP that can connect to an existing desktop without having to
>> set it up as shared from the beginning is more useful. Any ideas on
>> that?
>
> Agreed. I've gotten so used to all that local *GL* goodness that running
> almost any app (except maybe xterm) remotely is just so painful it makes
> me cry...

For remote access, I can live without all the special effects.

> I'm also lucky in that when I managed to foist all the oracle with java
> installers off onto some other team of luckless suckers, I was left with
> just the best remote interface ever - ssh and bash. So I can afford to
> be smug :-)

ssh -Y <host> works really well for those.
I always feel smug when others first need to figure out how to get a
remote-X connection to the server because they use MS Windows.
They often claim that a VNC-server is a valid pre-req...
Take it from me, that is NOT a requirement to install the software.

> I don't know how to make your RDP problem easier - I treat that the same
> as allow/deny rules for ssh (or any other kind of access really) and
> just accept that sometimes I need to ask first for something to be
> allowed. again, I can afford to be smug here too as the only things I
> need to RDP to are terminals set up for that very purpose and VirtualBox
> VMs (that is one more check box at the create stage).

For me the usage case is as follows:
1) I start to do something on my desktop at home
2) I go to the office or customer site
3) I need to continue/finish what I was doing (it's usually for a customer
in that case)

At this point, I can't continue. Unless I remembered to run a VNC server
and used vnc to localhost for step 1.

With a MS Windows desktop, it is usually (sometimes I get a "clean"
desktop and still can't continue) possible.

One option would be to be able to redirect an application to a different
X-server and when that one dies/disconnects/... it will reconnect to the
initial (my desktop) one.
This is also not something I found yet either.
For these activities, all the latest *GL* goodies are not necessary and I
can easily live without them. Remote 3D gaming isn't something I want to
do.

--
Joost