Philip Webb schreef:
> 050904 Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised no one has said, "Look in  /var/cache/edb/virtuals ,
>> where you will likely see that Joe is set as an in-use
>> virtual/editor(s) on your actual system".
>

> Yes, it is, along with Vim Gvim & Nano.  However, (1) that file still
> lists
>
> virtual/alsa sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources virtual/dhcpc
> net-misc/dhcpcd virtual/dev-manager sys-fs/devfsd virtual/mpg123
> media-sound/mpg123
>
> & (2) it was last updated 050122 .
>
> Re (1), I don't have a sound card & have removed all the sound
> packages, so 'alsa' & 'mpg123' should not be listed: really, sound is
> not a requirement of any kind for a working system; I removed Dhcpcd
> 041114, as it had ceased to be part of 'system'; Devfsd was one of
> the requirements which caused me to ask the question.
>
> Re (2) & following from (1), the file doesn't seem to be accurate nor
> does it seem to be kept upto-date by anything: the only package I
> emerged 050122 was Bin86 , needed to handle the MBR.
>
> So thanx for your fresh point, but it really just raised another
> question.
>
> My basic purpose is to understand how the Gentoo system works &
> sometimes -- probably here -- this uncovers strange activities which
> have been going on underneath some stone unnoticed by everyone.

I would be interested in this question as well, since in the course of
looking at this file I noticed:

sys-fs/devfsd still listed (along with udev) as virtual/dev-manager
(devfsd was still installed, so I uninstalled it and the entry was not
removed);

sys-kernel/mm-sources still listed (along with gentoo-sources) as
providing linux-sources and alsa, despite the fact that all versions of
mm-sources have long been removed (I never used it, actually).

I removed the redundant entries manually, and have so far encountered no
problems (and expect none), but I do find it odd that I had to do that
at all, and would love to know why.

Holly