>> > If you are sending out packets with the DF bit set no fragmentation will
>> > take place - the packet is dropped and an appropriate message is
>> > returned to sender.  Otherwise the router will fragment them and send
>> > them on to the recipient address.
>>
>> Shouldn't PMTUD change my MTU based on the hotel router's lower MTU?
>
> Yes, it should.  At the start of the connection the sender sends DF in the
> header to find out what is the MRU that the network nodes will support.  Then
> sends packets of the appropriate size so that they get through with no
> fragmentation.  This is the optimal scenario.
>
> Now, imagine another scenario where some router/firewall/server does not send
> back the correct ICMP packet with its required MRU, or even worse it sends
> back a 1500 (full ethernet) size with DF set, or also drops fragments ... This
> reminds me of MSN IM which was a particularly bad implementation back when.
>
> The sender may eventually try a smaller packet, after initially increasing the
> time it waits for a response, and you could well get something through 30
> seconds later, or even give up and time out.

Here's my layout:

laptop+shorewall (MTU:1500) -> hotel router (MTU:?) -> internet ->
Westell modem/router (MTU:1492) -> desktop+shorewall (MTU:1500)

Shouldn't PMTUD change the desktop's MTU to 1492?  Is the fact that it
doesn't due to a flaw in the Westell's operation?  Should I manually
change the desktop's MTU to 1492 along with that of other systems on
its LAN?

> If you are using Shorewall at your remote server I would expect it to behave
> properly and return the correct ICMP packet when it receives a DF.  However, I
> am not familiar with the Shorewall properties and settings, so if you suspect
> this as the cause of your problem it would be better if you look into it
> properly.

So I'm sure I understand, this doesn't apply if ICMP is dropped at the Westell?

- Grant