Hi Grant,

Yes, I just had to do this myself.

There are two packages: jhead and exiftool. The former does jpegs only.
I wound up using exiftool, there's a single command to strip all metadata:

exiftool -all= *.jpg

If I remember right that creates a copy of the file it processes.

You can use exiftool to list tags and also remove individual tags. I
used it to make sure there were no GPS tags in pictures from my phone.

Dan